I look gummy when I smile
The beauty of a smile is not only the teeth themselves but the framing of the teeth, which is the gums and lips and how all of these are in harmony with the facial proportions. In creating symmetry, it is not only the teeth we have to work with but the framework that surrounds the smile. Below are some videos on how we have corrected gums and teeth with a variety of treatment methods.
What are my options for treatment?
We would need to assess you for your exact needs, but generally, there are two options.
- Orthodontics or Invisalign– we physically move the teeth upwards by intrusion using traditional wire braces or invisible aligners
- Laser gum lifting
- Porcelain Veneers with laser gum lifting—we place wafer thin porcelain veneers over the teeth and can change the size, alignment, appearance, shape, and proportion of the teeth.
- Surgical lip tacking—where the lip is surgically attached lower down so that it cannot lift as far
- Botox injection
How long does treatment take?
- Orthodontics or Invisalign– time frame varies with each individual case. Usually it takes 12-18 months and then years, if not a lifetime of some level or retention to keep the teeth in place long term.
- Laser gum lifting just one visit and healing time is a few days.
- Porcelain Veneers–takes 4-6 weeks, 2 treatment appointments.
- Surgical lip tacking —takes one visit
- Botox —a few seconds
How long does it last?
- Orthodontics or Invisalign–retainers need to be worn Nighttime for a lifetime to maintain long term position of teeth for life.
- Laser gum lifting – generally permanent but in some cases gums can grow and heal especially if we have not changed the surface of the tooth
- Porcelain veneers — how these last depend greatly on how they are looked after once they are in. What ever can wear a tooth down, or break a tooth, can wear or break a porcelain veneer. Proper oral hygiene and maintenance must be carried out. They generally last 15-20 years, following good home care maintenance. All our porcelain work is guaranteed for 5 years. We will assess and treat all risk factors so that you will be able to enjoy your new smile for many years to come.
- Surgical lip tacking— initially the lip will be held lower and tighter, but eventually over a few years, tissues can relax and remodel and the gumminess can relapse over a few years.
- Botox lasts 3-6 months and the procedure will have to be repeated.
Does the treatment hurt?
There are varying levels of discomfort expected with different procedures, depending on what is needed. With Invisalign, our clients do not experience pain that requires any level of painkillers at all. With braces, sometimes at the time of wire tightening, there can be some level of discomfort. With laser gum lifting, the first few days can be tender to touch but it heals within af ew days. Painkillers are rarely required. With porcelain veneers, rarely do our clients ever have to take painkillers after treatment as veneer preparations are very minimally invasive. We ensure you are totally comfortable at every stage of the treatment. For those who are scared of the treatment, you can choose to be sedated, so that you can blissfully wake up to your new smile. With surgical procedures there will be a level of discomfort, but soft tissue surgery generally heals in a few days. Discomfort will last only a few days. Botox no pain except for the injection itself.
How much does it cost?
Each case varies in complexity, in the number of teeth that need to be treated, and each case is individually designed to suit the needs of the individual. After our thorough diagnosis, we can give you an accurate and prompt quote on treatment that is specifically designed to suit you.
Can I see the results of others who have had this problem fixed?
Here are some of our happy clients to whom we are grateful to for allowing us to share their results and educate others on the possibilities.
What is my next step?
So that we can best help you it’s important that you come in for a personalised consult and diagnosis with Dr Vicky Ho. Alternatively, you can also choose a complimentary discussion where you can meet our team, and learn about which options are available to you. Call us now on 94683322 to arrange your appointment.
Yours For Free
"11 things You Should Know About Cosmetic Treatment" offers exclusive answers to all you need to know about cosmetic dentistry! To receive your copy, fill out the form below.
Ask the Dentist
Dr Vicky Ho will answer any questions you may have about your dental health and care.