I wish my teeth were whiter
This is the wish of most people, is to have white, bright, clean, healthy teeth. Teeth whitening is now a very safe and effective procedure provided that it is done in the right conditions. Things that affect the success are :
- Type of discolourations that patients have:
- External or internal?
- Grey or yellow or brown?
- Do they smoke or take staining foods on a regular basis to counteract the whitening process?
- Fit of the custom made trays
- Concentration of the whitening agent used.
- Condition of the teeth to start with, eg if they have fillings on them or crowns, etc, they will not whiten
Whitening can be done on its own or as part of our cosmetic treatment. Here are some cases that achieved whiter results:
What are my options for treatment?
We would need to assess you for your exact needs, but generally, there are three options.
- Whitening tooth pastes, strips and other store bought products— These are off the shelf products that you can get from supermarkets, chemists, and beauty therapists. As they are not supervised by a trained professional the concentration of the active ingredient is low and the result is usually unsatisfactory to our clients that have tried them before.
- Home whitening kits with professionally made trays that are moulded for individual patients—These trays are fit precisely to each person and whitening gel is placed in the trays and worn for an hour or two or some overnight treatments. These treatments work well depending on several factors, like how well the trays are moulded, how well they are sealed around the gum lines, and whether the trays have built in “reservoirs” for the gel to sit in, and also the concentration of the active ingredients.
- In-surgery whitening with laser or light or heat activated systems— these work instantly and you can have a bright new smile in an hour. At our practice we do recommend that these will give you the best and brightest result if you do in in combination with the Home Whitening Kits as well to give a bright more long lasting result.
- Porcelain Veneers — for teeth that are tetracycline stained or for permanent whiteness that won’t fade, this is one option. Porcelain veneers can be done to whatever shade you desire and these will never change in colour. These are a great option for those whose teeth are misshapened, discoloured, worn, or otherwise need a change greater than just the colour.
How long does treatment take?
- Store based products– Varies according to product and manufacturers. Results generally minimal.
- Home Whitening Trays and Gel—From start to finish generally 10 -14 days
- In Surgery Laser Whitening —1 hour to 90 mins
- Porcelain Veneers — Start to finish about 4-6 weeks
Does the treatment hurt?
The most common symptom that people experience from whitening treatment is sensitivity of the teeth during the treatment. Proper fitting trays are essential for the gel to stay on the teeth and not on the gums. If gel gets on the gums for extended periods, can cause a “burning sensation” on the gums so it essential that the trays fit well, seal around the gums and you are shown how to use these properly. Generally if protocols are followed and treatment is done properly, there is no discomfort. Please ensure that this treatment is carried out by a trained professional.
How long does it last?
Whitening results last greatly according to lifestyle habits. If coffee, tea, red wine and smoking are a mainstay in the lifestyle of our client, the stains will come back. These can be maintained however, with the home whitening kit, you can choose to top up the whitening should you see them fading. This may need to be done every 6 -12 months. Porcelain will not fade in colour.
How much does it cost?
Each case varies in complexity, in the number of teeth that need to be treated, and each case is individually designed to suit the needs of the individual. After our thorough diagnosis, we can give you an accurate and prompt quote on treatment that is specifically designed to suit you.
Can I see the results of others who have had this problem fixed?
Here are some of our happy clients to whom we are grateful to for allowing us to share their results and educate others on the possibilities.
What is my next step?
So that we can best help you it’s important that you come in for a personalised consult and diagnosis with Dr Vicky Ho. Alternatively, you can also choose a complimentary discussion where you can meet our team, and learn about which options are available to you. Call us now on 94683322 to arrange your appointment.
Yours For Free
"11 things You Should Know About Cosmetic Treatment" offers exclusive answers to all you need to know about cosmetic dentistry! To receive your copy, fill out the form below.
Ask the Dentist
Dr Vicky Ho will answer any questions you may have about your dental health and care.