My cosmetics need updating
Many people have fear on getting cosmetic work done on their teeth because they may have seen others or maybe themselves had cosmetic work done in the past and the results were much less than rewarding. A lot of the fear is that after having it all done, they may not have gotten the natural seamless result that they were after. You may have seen crowns done with the ugly black line around the teeth. You see the best cosmetic results that people get, are the ones that you don’t even know they had it done, they just have a beautiful natural, real result that no one really knows exactly what was done. Below are some videos on how we have replaced old cosmetics.
What are my options for treatment?
We would need to assess you for your exact needs, but generally, there are three options. Sometimes it is replacement of what was done before but sometimes we do other varied treatment to improve the aesthetic outcome.
- Crowns/ Porcelain Veneers — Old crowns with the ugly black line are replaced with the more modern technology full porcelain crowns that mimic natural teeth with light translucence, wear strengths, texture, and character.
To replace old dentures we have the following options
- Bridges–we place caps over the neighbouring teeth and can change the size, alignment, appearance, shape, and proportion of the teeth and replace all the ones missing in between. They are fixed and long term option and rely on good strong teeth on either side to support it. They do not need to be removed and are permanent.
- Implants—these are titanium screws that are secured in the remaining jaw bone to support teeth. They are the closest thing to replacing your natural tooth. They are fixed and permanent.
- New Dentures
How long does treatment take?
- Dentures– They take a few days to weeks depending on whether you choose a metal based or an acrylic based denture.
- Crowns/ Veneers/ Bridges—From start to finish generally 2-3 weeks
- Implants—these depend on the foundations we have to start with, like bone quantity, quality and the site. The key to implant loading is the stability that we can get at time of placement of the implant. Some can be loaded immediately, where those that may require bone grafting may take 6 months before loading can occur. So it depends. Generally for most it takes about 8-12 weeks.
Does the treatment hurt?
There are varying levels of discomfort expected with different procedures, depending on what is needed. Whilst we cannot guarantee 100% pain free experience, we do our utmost to make sure you are comfortable through all treatment, but ensuring that you are completely numb, and stopping at any time you have any concerns. For those who are scared of the treatment or don’t want to sit through lengthy treatments, you can choose to be sedated, so that you can enjoy the entire experience and wake up and it’s all done!
How long does it last?
- Dentures — a few years, the bone and gums will continue to shrink with time so the dentures will need to be relined every few years for best fit.
- Crowns, Porcelain Veneers, Bridges — how these last depend greatly on how they are looked after once they are in. What ever can wear a tooth down, or break a tooth, can wear or break a porcelain veneer or crown. Proper oral hygiene and maintenance must be carried out. They generally last 15-20 years, following good home care maintenance. All our porcelain work is guaranteed for 5 years. We will assess and treat all risk factors so that you will be able to enjoy your new smile for many years to come.
- Implants — they can last for a life time when integrated into the bone. They are like replacing your tooth. Things that can cause loss of implant are similar things to what breaks or caused loss of your original tooth, e.g. gum disease, or grinding and clenching, poor oral hygiene. These are all factors that affect the longevity and we will show you the best way to maintain your investment for the rest of your life. The crowns on the top of implants may need to be renewed every 15-20 years.
How much does it cost?
Each case varies in complexity, in the number of teeth that need to be treated, and each case is individually designed to suit the needs of the individual. After our thorough diagnosis, we can give you an accurate and prompt quote on treatment that is specifically designed to suit you.
Can I see the results of others who have had this problem fixed?
Here are some of our happy clients to whom we are grateful to for allowing us to share their results and educate others on the possibilities.
What is my next step?
So that we can best help you it’s important that you come in for a personalised consult and diagnosis with Dr Vicky Ho. Alternatively, you can also choose a complimentary discussion where you can meet our team, and learn about which options are available to you. Call us now on 94683322 to arrange your appointment.
Yours For Free
"11 things You Should Know About Cosmetic Treatment" offers exclusive answers to all you need to know about cosmetic dentistry! To receive your copy, fill out the form below.
Ask the Dentist
Dr Vicky Ho will answer any questions you may have about your dental health and care.